L'Académie nouvelle

Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
L'Académie nouvelle

Forum d'archivage politique et scientifique

-40%
Le deal à ne pas rater :
-40% sur le Pack Gaming Mario PDP Manette filaire + Casque filaire ...
29.99 € 49.99 €
Voir le deal

Paige Allen, What is Phenomenology ?

Johnathan R. Razorback
    Johnathan R. Razorback
    Admin

Paige Allen, What is Phenomenology ? Empty Paige Allen, What is Phenomenology ?

Message par Johnathan R. Razorback Jeu 24 Aoû - 10:04

"Phenomenology is the philosophical study of experience. It is a significant movement in twentieth-century philosophy and continues to be explored today. Broadly, phenomenology aims to understand existence through the way we experience the world. Phenomenologists blur the boundary between the perceiving mind/body/subject and the perceptible world/object, seeking to understand how each informs the other.

Phenomenology literally means the study of phenomena. A phenomenon is anything experienced, and any object of thought. As Dan Zahavi writes in Phenomenology: The Basics (2018), phenomenology is “interested in the how rather than in the what of objects.” Zahavi explains,

Rather than focusing on, say, the weight, rarity, or chemical composition of the object, phenomenology is concerned with the way in which the object shows or displays itself, i.e., in how it appears. [...] From this or that perspective, in strong or faint illumination, as perceived, imagined, wished for, feared, anticipated, or recollected. Briefly stated, phenomenology can be seen as a philosophical analysis of these different types of givenness. [...]

Husserl aimed to create a philosophy grounded in the “lifeworld,” or the world we live in and experience in daily life. According to Zahavi, Husserl and phenomenologists following him believed that the lifeworld had been “forgotten and repressed” by science: “In its search for objective knowledge, science has made a virtue of its ability to move beyond and surpass bodily, sensuous, and pragmatic experience, but has frequently overlooked to what extent it is enabled by those very same experiences” (Zahavi, 2018). Husserl called for a return to the “things themselves.”

While Husserl certainly launched phenomenology and his ideas echo throughout the movement, many later phenomenologists have responded to, (mis)interpreted, and rejected his theories to approach phenomenology in their own ways. The French philosopher Paul Ricœur went so far as to suggest that “phenomenology in the broad sense is the sum of Husserl’s work plus the heresies stemming from Husserl” [...]

A major philosophical idea which phenomenology diverges from is the clear separation between inner mind and outer world, between observing subjects and observed objects. In Cartesian philosophy, named after René Descartes (1596–1650), the outer, “true” reality is separate and distinct from the inner, experienced reality. Phenomenology takes issue with this simple divide, viewing consciousness and reality in a reciprocal relationship with each other; one cannot truly be separated from the other. This new perspective marked an important shift in philosophy: rather than seeking “objective” truth beyond specific perspectives or experiences, phenomenology proposed that truth could be discovered through an analysis of subjective experience."

"If I move around the table or lift it from the desk, I might be able to inspect different parts of the clock, but other parts will disappear. Yet, I never doubt that the whole clock is there, that there is more to the object than what I perceive from a given perspective. Some parts and properties are perceptually absent, but they still play a role in how I perceive the clock.

Zahavi emphasizes that “what we see is never given in isolation, but is surrounded by and situated in a horizon that affects the meaning of what we see” (2018). This context not only encompasses the perceptually absent aspects of the clock but also extends to the background surrounding the object. The clock is located in a particular setting, and whether this is “a salesroom, a study, or a lawyer’s office, the alarm clock will appear in different ways, with different meanings” (Zahavi, 2018). The clock may be surrounded by other objects which can influence my perception of it.

Zahavi also notes, “When highlighting the importance of context and horizon, we shouldn’t merely think of this in spatial terms, but also in temporal terms” (2018). The present is informed by the remembered past and the expected future. This includes my immediate past with this object, the information I retain from my exploration of the clock (which allows me to remember each side, even if I turn it around), and the past more broadly: I may have decided to look at the clock because I remember my friend saying that he needed a new one. Looking at the clock, I might try to anticipate my friend’s reaction to seeing it. Zahavi concludes this example with a final point:

When the alarm clock appears, it appears to me, but it does not appear to me as my private object. Rather, it is very much given to me as a public object, as one that others can also observe and utilize. [...] Even if the alarm clock only presents part of itself to me, others can simultaneously perceive aspects of it that are currently unavailable to me. (2018)

Throughout the above example, we can see the attention to experience and perception that lies at the foundation of phenomenology. This investigation of the alarm clock illustrates three essential elements of phenomenology.

The First-Person Perspective
    Phenomenologists examine the world from a first-person perspective. It is the nature of visual perception that I can only see the alarm clock from one view at a time; I can only describe the object as it reveals itself to me, not in its ideal form. Phenomenology does not claim to achieve a universal or “objective” third-person perspective. Rather, phenomenology emphasizes that “there is just as much ‘objectivity’ and truth in the subjective access to the world once it is articulated and intersubjectively confirmed” (Luft and Overgaard, 2013). Phenomenologists generally posit that “once subjects put themselves in the position of describing the manner in which things are given or appear to them, they will quickly discover that these descriptions are valid not only for their own private selves, but for others too” (Luft and Overgaard, 2013).

Many phenomenologists, especially after Husserl, view this first-person perspective as inherently embodied. In order to observe the clock, I must be in spatial relation to it, and I engage my body as I explore it (I tilt my head, lean down, etc.). There is “no purely intellectual point of view” because there is “no view from nowhere, there is only an embodied point of view” (Zahavi, 2018).

Description
    Speaking from the first-person perspective, the phenomenologist aims to describe experience. This task, however, is not as simple as it seems. While acknowledging the subjectivity of a first-person perspective, phenomenology (ideally and traditionally) attempts to proceed without biases and presuppositions. Husserl calls this “bracketing,” putting aside any commitment to values, ideologies, or theoretical assumptions; the process of bracketing is called the epoché. Ideally, a phenomenologist brackets anything that might have a distorting effect on the description of experience. Philosophers debate precisely what Husserl encouraged phenomenologists to “bracket” — previous biases and traditional theories; our habitual way of encountering the world; and/or our assumption that the world exists independently of us, able to be examined from a perspective not immersed within it (Zahavi, 2018).

Describing the full appearance of a phenomenon includes attending to its background. Context affects the object — the alarm clock appears differently if it is on a store table versus a nightstand — and phenomenologists account for these specificities, describing how an object appears, for what purpose, and with what meaning.

Intentionality
    While first-person perspective and description are elements of phenomenology’s method, intentionality speaks to philosophical beliefs, and Luft and Overgaard suggest it is the only paradigm agreed upon by the whole phenomenological movement. Phenomenologists propose that to be conscious means to be conscious of something: I see (the alarm clock), I hear (the store clerk), I remember (my breakfast from that morning), I expect (my friend’s birthday party tomorrow). This idea that consciousness is always directed toward something is intentionality, a term introduced by Brentano but made key to phenomenology by Husserl. Intentionality captures the connection between “internal” representations of objects within one’s consciousness and “external” objects. Luft and Overgaard argue that “whereas one will rarely find ‘intentionality’ featured as a prominent term in phenomenological works after Husserl (at least the ‘classical’ ones), it is nevertheless the case that what is essentially meant by it — the correlation between first-person experience and its content — lives on under different guises” (2013).

Notable contributors and works: Husserl, Heidegger, and Merleau-Ponty

Edmund Husserl (1859–1938)
    Although some would point to Franz Brentano’s Psychology from an Empirical Standpoint (1874, [2014]) as the origin of phenomenology, Edmund Husserl is largely considered phenomenology’s founder. His Logical Investigations, Volume One (1900, [2012]) and Volume Two (1901, [2013]) is a groundbreaking work in which he introduces phenomenology as a descriptive science. Theorizing the idea of intentionality, Husserl argues that consciousness consists of mental acts (i.e. seeing, remembering, hating, desiring). These mental acts could be linguistic (thinking or talking about an object), pictorial (viewing a representation of the object), or perceptual (encountering the object directly). According to Husserl, it is only through perceptual acts that the object is given to us directly. Logical Investigations inspired a strand of early phenomenologists to return to lived reality, rejecting a philosophical emphasis on ideals and understanding the world as such, separated from human consciousness. Consciousness, intentionality posited, was always in relation to the world around it.

When Husserl published his next work, Ideas (1913, [2012]), he created something of a divide in the burgeoning phenomenological movement. Labeling phenomenology a “transcendental philosophy,” Husserl seemed, to some scholars, to abandon his emphasis on realism in pursuit of ideal forms. In Ideas, Husserl writes of the aims of “pure phenomenology”:

[T]hat genuine philosophy, the idea of which is to realize the idea of Absolute Knowledge, has its roots in pure phenomenology, and this in so earnest a sense that the systematically rigorous grounding and development of this first of all philosophies remains the perpetual precondition of all metaphysics and other philosophy “which would aspire to be a science". (1913, [2012])

Kevin Hermberg explains that, by Absolute Knowledge, Husserl did not mean the absolute truth but rather “knowledge of what is absolutely given,” knowledge he “sought to accept as true only that for which he had appropriate evidence” (Husserl’s Phenomenology, 2006). Truth comes not from knowledge itself but from the experience of obtaining that knowledge; consciousness, for phenomenology, is no longer about what we know, but rather how we have come to know it. [...]

Phenomenology began in Germany, but it was later developed by many prominent French philosophers including Maurice Merleau-Ponty, the third major figure in the development of phenomenology. Merleau-Ponty is best known for his Phenomenology of Perception (1945, [2013]), which emphasized the embodied nature of perception and significantly influenced developments in phenomenology since it was published.

Merleau-Ponty reiterates the importance of context in phenomenology with the idea of the gestalt, the figure perceived along with its background (a whole that is greater than the sum of its parts). The figure and its context can never be separated: “The perceptual ‘something’ is always in the middle of some other thing, it always belongs to a ‘field’ ” (Meleau-Ponty, 1945, [2013]). Scientists and philosophers often disregard the contextual aspects of the perceived world in pursuit of a decontextualized, “objective” account of things; the full field of perception obscures itself as we focus on one object. Merleau Ponty argues,

The fundamental philosophical act would thus be to return to the lived world beneath the objective world [...]; it would be to give back to the thing its concrete physiognomy, to the organisms their proper manner of dealing with the world, and to subjectivity its historical inherence; it would be to rediscover phenomena [...] it would be to awaken perception. (1945, [2013])

For Merleau-Ponty, consciousness is always embodied. He proposes the idea of the “body schema” to describe our sense of our body as a cohesive unit and our understanding of how that body relates to its environment (for example, whether it can fit through a doorway). The body schema extends beyond the physical limits of our body to objects around us. Merleau-Ponty argues that, while objects have a “positional spatiality,” the body has “situational spatiality”: it positions itself toward actual or possible tasks. When we, for example, pick up a musical instrument, the object becomes an extension of our body through what we can accomplish with it. Merleau-Ponty writes,

my body is polarized by its tasks, insofar as it exists toward them, insofar as it coils up upon itself in order to reach its goal, and the “body schema” is, in the end, a manner of expressing that my body is in and toward the world. (1945, [2013])

The body is oriented toward the tasks it performs and the tasks it can perform based on what it has done before. As Djian and Majolino explain,

The body schema mediates in this regard constantly between the currently performing body, which behaves and projects itself toward the world, and the habitual body, which determines the practical possibilities of this very body through already acquired skills and know-how. In this sense, the body is more than a ‘zero-point of orientation’; it creates a field of action or a situation. (2020)

Merleau-Ponty’s ideas of embodiment further reject the idea of an outer reality separated from an inner consciousness. He writes, “The interior and the exterior are inseparable. The world is entirely on the inside, and I am entirely outside of myself. [...] I understand the world because I am situated in the world and because the world understands me” (1945, [2013]).

Phenomenology trusts that our existence is shaped by our experience. In fact, existence is experience. By drawing attention to the context surrounding the objects we examine and ourselves as Dasein within that world, in constant shifting relationships with our environment, phenomenology has opened the door to all sorts of research possibilities and become one of the most important philosophical developments of the past century."
    -Paige Allen, What is Phenomenology ? : https://www.perlego.com/knowledge/study-guides/what-is-phenomenology/

« Rien de grand ne s’est jamais accompli dans le monde sans passion. » -Hegel, La Raison dans l'Histoire.

« Mais parfois le plus clair regard aime aussi l’ombre. » -Friedrich Hölderlin, "Pain et Vin".

Johnathan R. Razorback
    Johnathan R. Razorback
    Admin

Paige Allen, What is Phenomenology ? Empty Re: Paige Allen, What is Phenomenology ?

Message par Johnathan R. Razorback Ven 25 Aoû - 13:31

"La phénoménologie est l'étude philosophique de l'expérience. Il s'agit d'un courant important de la philosophie du XXe siècle, qui continue d'être approfondi aujourd'hui. D'une manière générale, la phénoménologie vise à comprendre l'existence à travers la manière dont nous faisons l'expérience du monde. Les phénoménologues brouillent la frontière entre l'esprit et le corps, le sujet percevant et le monde/objet perceptible, cherchant à comprendre comment chacun informe l'autre.

La phénoménologie signifie littéralement l'étude des phénomènes. Un phénomène est tout ce qui est expérimenté, vécu, ressenti, ainsi que tout objet de pensée. Comme l'écrit Dan Zahavi dans Phenomenology : The Basics (2018), la phénoménologie "s'intéresse au "comment" plutôt qu'au "quoi" des objets". Zahavi explique,

Plutôt que de se concentrer sur, disons, le poids, la rareté ou la composition chimique de l'objet, la phénoménologie s'intéresse à la manière dont l'objet se montre ou s'affiche, c'est-à-dire à la façon dont il apparaît. [...] De telle ou telle perspective, sous un éclairage fort ou faible, tel qu'il est perçu, imaginé, souhaité, craint, anticipé ou remémoré. En bref, la phénoménologie peut être considérée comme une analyse philosophique de ces différents types de donations. [...]

Husserl voulait créer une philosophie fondée sur le "monde de la vie", c'est-à-dire le monde dans lequel nous vivons et dont nous faisons l'expérience dans la vie quotidienne. Selon Zahavi, Husserl et les phénoménologues qui l'ont suivi pensaient que le monde de la vie avait été "oublié et réprimé" par la science : "Dans sa quête de connaissances objectives, la science a fait de sa capacité à dépasser l'expérience corporelle, sensuelle et pragmatique une vertu, mais a souvent négligé la façon dont elle est rendue possible par ces mêmes expériences." (Zahavi, 2018). Husserl a appelé à un retour aux "choses elles-mêmes".

Si Husserl a certainement lancé la phénoménologie et que ses idées trouvent un écho dans tout le mouvement, de nombreux phénoménologues ultérieurs ont réagi à ses théories, les ont (mal) interprétées et les ont rejetées pour aborder la phénoménologie à leur manière. Le philosophe français Paul Ricœur est allé jusqu'à suggérer que "la phénoménologie au sens large est la somme de l'œuvre de Husserl et des hérésies issues de Husserl." [...].

L'une des principales idées philosophiques dont s'écarte la phénoménologie est la séparation nette entre l'esprit intérieur et le monde extérieur, entre les sujets qui observent et les objets observés. Dans la philosophie cartésienne, nommée d'après René Descartes (1596-1650), la réalité extérieure, "vraie", est séparée et distincte de la réalité intérieure, vécue. La phénoménologie remet en question cette division simple, considérant la conscience et la réalité dans une relation réciproque, l'une ne pouvant être véritablement séparée de l'autre. Cette nouvelle perspective a marqué un changement important dans la philosophie : plutôt que de rechercher une vérité "objective" au-delà de perspectives ou d'expériences spécifiques, la phénoménologie a proposé que la vérité puisse être découverte à travers une analyse de l'expérience subjective."

"Si je me déplace autour [...] je pourrai peut-être inspecter différentes parties d'une l'horloge, mais d'autres parties disparaîtront. Pourtant, je ne doute jamais que l'ensemble de l'horloge est là, qu'il y a plus dans l'objet que ce que je perçois d'un point de vue donné. Certaines parties et propriétés sont perceptiblement absentes, mais elles jouent toujours un rôle dans la façon dont je perçois l'horloge.

Zahavi souligne que "ce que nous voyons n'est jamais donné de manière isolée, mais est entouré et situé dans un horizon qui affecte la signification de ce que nous voyons." (2018). Ce contexte n'englobe pas seulement les aspects perceptivement absents de l'horloge, mais s'étend également à l'arrière-plan qui entoure l'objet. L'horloge est située dans un cadre particulier, et qu'il s'agisse "d'une salle de vente, d'un bureau ou d'un cabinet d'avocat, le bruit de sonnerie d'horloge apparaîtra de différentes manières, avec différentes significations." (Zahavi, 2018). L'horloge peut être entourée d'autres objets qui peuvent influencer la perception que j'en ai.

Zahavi note également : "En soulignant l'importance du contexte et de l'arrière-plan, nous ne devrions pas simplement penser à cela en termes uniquement spatiaux, mais aussi en termes temporels." (2018). Le présent est informé par le passé dont on se souvient et par le futur attendu. Cela inclut mon passé immédiat avec cet objet, les informations que je retiens de mon exploration de l'horloge (qui me permet de me souvenir de chaque côté, même si je la retourne), et le passé plus largement : j'ai peut-être décidé de regarder l'horloge parce que je me souviens que mon ami m'a dit qu'il en avait besoin d'une nouvelle. En regardant l'horloge, je peux essayer d'anticiper la réaction de mon ami. Zahavi conclut cet exemple par un dernier point :

Lorsque le réveille-matin apparaît, il m'apparaît, mais il ne m'apparaît pas comme mon objet privé. Il m'apparaît plutôt comme un objet public, un objet que d'autres peuvent également observer et utiliser. [...] Même si le réveil ne me présente qu'une partie de lui-même, d'autres peuvent simultanément en percevoir des aspects qui me sont pour l'instant inaccessibles. (2018)

Dans l'exemple ci-dessus, nous pouvons voir l'attention portée à l'expérience et à la perception qui est à la base de la phénoménologie. Cette enquête sur le réveil illustre trois éléments essentiels de la phénoménologie.

Le point de vue à la première personne.

Les phénoménologues examinent le monde d'un point de vue à la première personne. La nature de la perception visuelle fait que je ne peux voir le réveil que d'un seul point de vue à la fois ; je ne peux décrire l'objet que tel qu'il se révèle à moi, et non sous sa forme idéale. La phénoménologie ne prétend pas atteindre une perspective universelle ou "objective" à la troisième personne. Elle insiste plutôt sur le fait qu'"il y a exactement autant d'"objectivité" et de vérité dans l'accès subjectif au monde une fois qu'il est articulé et confirmé de manière intersubjective." (Luft et Overgaard, 2013). Les phénoménologues affirment généralement qu'"une fois que les sujets se mettent en position de décrire la manière dont les choses leur sont données ou leur apparaissent, ils découvrent rapidement que ces descriptions sont valables non seulement pour leur propre moi, mais aussi pour les autres." (Luft et Overgaard, 2013).

De nombreux phénoménologues, en particulier après Husserl, considèrent que cette perspective à la première personne est intrinsèquement incarnée. Pour observer l'horloge, je dois être en relation spatiale avec elle, et j'engage mon corps en l'explorant (j'incline la tête, je me penche, etc.). Il n'y a "pas de point de vue purement intellectuel" car il n'y a "pas de vue de nulle part, il n'y a qu'un point de vue incarné." (Zahavi, 2018).

Description de l'expérience.

S'exprimant à la première personne, le phénoménologue cherche à décrire l'expérience. Cette tâche n'est cependant pas aussi simple qu'il y paraît. Tout en reconnaissant la subjectivité d'une perspective à la première personne, la phénoménologie tente (idéalement et traditionnellement) de procéder sans préjugés ni présupposés. Husserl appelle cela la "mise entre parenthèses", en mettant de côté tout engagement envers des valeurs, des idéologies ou des hypothèses théoriques ; le processus de mise entre parenthèses s'appelle l'époché. Idéalement, un phénoménologue met entre parenthèses tout ce qui pourrait avoir un effet de distorsion sur la description de l'expérience. Les philosophes débattent précisément de ces éléments que Husserl encourage les phénoménologues à "mettre entre parenthèses" - les préjugés antérieurs et les théories traditionnelles, notre façon habituelle de rencontrer le monde et/ou notre hypothèse selon laquelle le monde existe indépendamment de nous, pouvant être examiné d'un point de vue qui n'y est pas immergé.

Décrire l'apparence complète d'un phénomène implique de s'intéresser à son contexte. Le contexte affecte l'objet -le réveil apparaît différemment s'il est posé sur une table de magasin ou sur une table de nuit- et les phénoménologues rendent compte de ces spécificités, en décrivant comment un objet apparaît, dans quel but et avec quelle signification.

L'intentionnalité.

Si la perspective à la première personne et la description sont des éléments de la méthode phénoménologique, l'intentionnalité relève des croyances philosophiques, et Luft et Overgaard suggèrent qu'il s'agit du seul paradigme accepté par l'ensemble du mouvement phénoménologique. Les phénoménologues proposent qu'être conscient signifie être conscient de quelque chose : je vois (le réveil), j'entends (l'employé du magasin), je me souviens (de mon petit déjeuner de ce matin), j'attends (la fête d'anniversaire de mon ami demain). Cette idée que la conscience est toujours orientée vers quelque chose est l'intentionnalité, un terme introduit par Brentano mais devenu essentiel à la phénoménologie par Husserl. L'intentionnalité saisit le lien entre les représentations "internes" des objets au sein de la conscience et les objets "externes". Luft et Overgaard affirment que "si l'on trouve rarement l'"intentionnalité" comme terme proéminent dans les travaux phénoménologiques postérieurs à Husserl (du moins les travaux "classiques"), il n'en reste pas moins que ce que l'on entend essentiellement par là - la corrélation entre l'expérience à la première personne et son contenu - se perpétue sous différentes formes.".

Bien que certains désignent la Psychologie d'un point de vue empirique (1874, [2014]) de Franz Brentano comme étant à l'origine de la phénoménologie, Edmund Husserl est largement considéré comme le fondateur de la phénoménologie. Ses Recherches logiques, volume un (1900, [2012]) et volume deux (1901, [2013]) constituent un ouvrage novateur dans lequel il introduit la phénoménologie en tant que science descriptive. Théorisant l'idée d'intentionnalité, Husserl soutient que la conscience consiste en des actes mentaux (voir, se souvenir, haïr, désirer). Ces actes mentaux peuvent être linguistiques (penser ou parler d'un objet), picturaux (voir une représentation de l'objet) ou perceptuels (rencontrer l'objet directement). Selon Husserl, ce n'est qu'à travers les actes perceptifs que l'objet nous est donné directement. Les Recherches logiques ont incité un groupe de phénoménologues à revenir à la réalité vécue, en rejetant l'accent philosophique mis sur les idéaux et la compréhension du monde en tant que tel, séparé de la conscience humaine. La conscience, selon l'intentionnalité, est toujours en relation avec le monde qui l'entoure.

Lorsque Husserl a publié son ouvrage suivant, Idées directrices pour une phénoménologie (1913, [2012]), il a créé une sorte de division dans le mouvement phénoménologique naissant. Qualifiant la phénoménologie de "philosophie transcendantale", Husserl a semblé, pour certains chercheurs, abandonner l'accent qu'il mettait sur le réalisme au profit de la recherche de formes idéales. Dans les Idées directrices, Husserl écrit à propos des objectifs de la "phénoménologie pure" :

Cette philosophie authentique, dont l'idée est de réaliser l'idée du savoir absolu, a ses racines dans la phénoménologie pure, et ce dans un sens si sérieux que la fondation et le développement systématiquement rigoureux de cette première de toutes les philosophies reste la condition préalable perpétuelle de toute métaphysique et de toute autre philosophie "qui aspirerait à être une science"." [selon la formule de Kant]

-Paige Allen, What is Phenomenology ? : https://www.perlego.com/knowledge/study-guides/what-is-phenomenology/

« Rien de grand ne s’est jamais accompli dans le monde sans passion. » -Hegel, La Raison dans l'Histoire.

« Mais parfois le plus clair regard aime aussi l’ombre. » -Friedrich Hölderlin, "Pain et Vin".

La date/heure actuelle est Mer 8 Mai - 8:43