L'Hydre et l'Académie

Alasdair MacIntyre, After Virtue. A Study in Moral Theory

Partagez
    Johnathan R. Razorback
    Admin

Alasdair MacIntyre, After Virtue. A Study in Moral Theory

Message par Johnathan R. Razorback le Lun 10 Juil - 15:15

https://epistemh.pbworks.com/f/4.+Macintyre.pdf

"When I wrote After Virtue, I was already an Aristotelian, but not yet a Thomist, something made plain in my account of Aquinas at the end of chapter 13. I became a Thomist after writing After Virtue in part because I became convinced that Aquinas was in some respects a better Aristotelian than Aristode, that not only was he an excellent interpreter of Aristode's texts, but that he had been able to extend and deepen both Aristode's metaphysical and his moral enquiries." (p.X)

"It is only because human beings have an end towards which they are directed by reason of their specific nature, that practices, traditions, and the like are able to function as they do." (p.XI)

"I see no value in community as such - many types of community are nastily oppressive - and the values of community, as understood by the American spokespersons of contemporary communitarianism, such as Amitai Etzioni, are compatible with and supportive of the values of the liberalism that I reject. My own critique of liberalism derives from a judgment that the best type of human life, that in which the tradition of the virtues is most adequately embodied, is lived by those engaged in constructing and sustaining forms of community directed towards the shared achievement of those common goods without which the ultimate human good cannot be achieved. Liberal political societies are characteristically committed to denying any place for a determinate conception of the human good in their public discourse, let alone allowing that their common life should be grounded in such a conception. On the dominant liberal view, government is to be neutral as between rival conceptions of the human good, yet in fact what liberalism promotes is a kind of institutional order that is inimical to the construction and sustaining of the types of communal relationship required for the best kind of human life.
    This critique of liberalism should not be interpreted as a sign of any sympathy on my part for contemporary conservatism. That conservatism is in too many ways a mirror image of the liberalism that it professedlyopposes. Its commitment to a way of life structured by a free market economy is a commitment to an individualism as corrosive as that ofliberalism. And, where liberalism by permissive legal enactments has tried to use the power of the modem state to transform social relationships, conservatism by prohibitive legal enactments now tries to use that same power for its own coercive purposes. Such conservatism is as alien to the projects of
    After Virtue as liberalism is." (p.XIV-XV)

"I should also make it clear that, although After Virtue was written in part out of a recognition of those moral inadequacies of Marxism which its twentieth-century history had disclosed, I was and remain deeply indebted to Man's critique of the economic, social, and cultural order of capitalism and to the development of that critique by later Marxists." (p.XIV)
    -Alasdair MacIntyre, After Virtue. A Study in Moral Theory, University of Notre Dame Press, Notre Dame, Indiana, Third edition, 2007 (1981 pour la première édition américaine), 286 pages.

«You'll have to think harder than you've ever done before, because you will be on your own -relying on your own judgment and the logic of the arguments you hear or consider, rejecting all authorities and all bromides, and taking nothing on faith. »  
    -Ayn Rand.

La date/heure actuelle est Sam 22 Juil - 6:51